Pages

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Running with Obstacles and Determination

I was out the door early this morning.  It was 5:45. It was dark.  70 degrees and cloudy with a 10% chance of rain.  Today's run was 6 miles with miles 2, 4, and 6 being at a faster pace.  There were several obstacles in my way today.  The first obstacle was small and fleeting.  At about 1/4 of a mile a rabbit was in front of me.  It was dark so I didn't see him until I was very close.  I almost stepped on him as he ran in front of me.  There were a couple of cars that passed me and a few in the street that I had to avoid.  No problem. Near the half way point in my run I saw lights facing me.  They were moving slowly and they were bright.  As I got closer I could hear the grinding of gears and the sounds of a powerful engine.  I could then see this monstrous machine with three legs attached to tracks.  This behemoth was heading for me and wasn't going to alter its course.  As I moved to the edge of the road I stepped off of the shoulder.  I was a bit surprised but didn't fall. After avoiding this obstacle I was headed home.  As my watch beeped to let me know I was starting my last mile I knew I was going to have to pick up my pace again, that's when I heard the rain.  It was down the road and coming my way.  As it hit me it was hard and steady.  For a moment I thought to take the short cut home. It entered my mind that I should slow down and take it easy because of the rain.  I decided not to do either.  I would give it my best and try to meet my goal.  I was successful.  My determination for the run overcame the obstacles that were placed before me today.

The story of today's run is very similar to life in Christ.  We will have obstacles.  Some will be small and some will be large.  Some obstacles will be easy to overcome and others more difficult.  If we rely on the Lord and have determination to run the race that is set out before us we will be successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment