Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

God Running

Summertime has definitely left us.  I had an early morning run today.  As usual I had my cross around my neck but today I had a bit more with me.  I wore a hat and gloves today.  40 degrees as I left my house and a brisk wind added up to the first windchill of the year.  It was 32.

Today while I was running I thought about the parable of the Prodigal son found in Luke chapter 15.  I was fortunate to came across a blog last week that I am really interested in.  It is by Kurt Bennett and is entitled GOD Running.  Click here to visit his site.  His site is not about man and his worldly per-suite of running.  His site is about God running to us!  What a great thought.  As many times as I have read the parable I have never thought about it those terms.  In the parable Jesus makes an analogy of God being the father and us being the prodigal son when we give our lives to him.  In the story the father runs to his son once he sees him coming.  Think about it in personal terms.  Think about coming humbly to God and that he is the loving Father running to you.  Wow.  I will let you read it how Kurt expresses it in his blog.

There’s only one place in the bible where we see God running.
“So he returned home to his father. And while he was still a long way off, his father saw him coming. Filled with love and compassion, he ran to his son, embraced him, and kissed him.” ~Jesus Christ, Luke 15:20 (NLT)
Maybe you think of God as a stern faced old man who likes to make rules and is filled with judgement, well that’s not at all who God is. God is for you. He wants you to do well.
He is on your side.
If you want to know what God is really like, learn about Jesus. Philip once said to Jesus, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.” And Jesus replied, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and yet you still don’t know who I am? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father! So why are you asking me to show him to you?” (John 14:8-9)
So to learn what God is really like, learn what Jesus Christ is really like. Start with the gospel of John, then read Matthew, Mark, and Luke. You’ll be surprised at the true nature of God.
God tells us if you or I draw near to Him, He will draw near to you. (James 4:8) So draw near, and experience God running in your own life. He’s waiting for you. He’s watching for when you begin to move toward Him. And while you are still a long way off, He’ll see you, and become filled with compassion. He’ll run to you and embrace you.
Go to Him.
Maybe you have wandered away like the prodigal son. Maybe like the prodigal you’re starving right now, spiritually malnourished. Maybe like the prodigal you’ve finally come to yourself and realized life with faith in your Father and His Son Jesus Christ is more fulfilling than life without. Maybe you realize the source of your disillusionment is you put too much stock in expecting others to live up to expectations God has for you. Maybe now you’re ready to focus on what God has for you, instead of what others should be doing for God.
Pray right now, tell Him you’re coming. Ask Him to run to you as He did for the prodigal. Let Him feed you, find a way to regularly study God’s words from His scriptures. Go to His house and enjoy Christian community.
God’s waiting.
He’ll celebrate your return.
I pray that you will see God running to you.
#New song on my playlist - Chris Tomlin/I will follow

No comments:

Post a Comment