Pages

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Runners High or Spiritual High?

Early Morning Western Clouds

Early morning run.  Started at 6:00 in the dark.  I had my light and Jesus with me this morning.  Spent some good time in prayer and talking with the Lord.  It was a good work out this morning.  At the end of my run I was breathing fast and very tired.  I ended with a familiar filling, but I am not sure if it was a Runners High or a Spiritual High.  I have had a runners high before.  It usually happens for me at the end of a long run or at the end of a hard work out that went well.  I have read that the runners high comes from endorphins that are released in our bodies during exercise.  I have also read that it is from lack of oxygen to the brain.  What ever the reason it is a great feeling.  I have also had the same feeling when I have had a every blessed run.  On some of those runs when I feel close to the Lord I get a great feeling that comes over me.  I have had many runs that ended with my hands over my head because I had to catch my breath, but I have also ended a few runs with my hands over my head praising the Lord.  I am reminded of Ryan Hall's book "Running with Joy".  He has been very successful in his running career and holds the american record for the half marathon, but his best runs are when he is with the Lord.

* Running tip - If you want to increase your distance do it slowly.  If you make to large of an increase you are more likely to get hurt.  Sometimes instead of increasing by the mile you may want to just increase by a few minutes at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment