Pages

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Run for Your Heart

Great Day today. This morning I ran in the Heartland Half Marathon in Jasper, IN. The slogan for the event is "Run for Your Heart". What a fitting slogan for the day. My day started at 4:00 am. That is early but it seemed earlier because it was storming all night and sleep was difficult. After an hour drive and an hour lost by crossing into the Eastern Time Zone I was picking up my packet. It was a beautiful morning. No rain after 4:00 and the temp was about 68 degrees at the start. The race was well organized and everyone I talked to was friendly and most had a smile on their face.

 The course started on a bridge that went across the Patoka River. It was a very picturesque start and we ran through the town square.  In 2 miles we were running through quiet neighborhoods and then on country roads. At mile 7 we were back in town getting ready to face the first of three challenging hills. The first one was steep and longer than a quarter mile. Things were going well for me until the 12th mile. I had been running just faster than my goal when I suddenly had a cramp in my right hamstring. It was bad enough that I had to walk for about 5 minutes. During that time I had a range of emotions. I started to ask why God was doing this to me especially when I was trying to represent him at the race. I soon realized that things happen sometimes and we should make the most of it. My run is not about me but how I represent Jesus in my actions and how I interact with people. After the race I passed out flyers in the parking lot. I had papers with a list of 10 bible verses that can be an inspiration to runners. If you received one of the fliers leave a comment and let me know what you thought of the race. I thought it was a great day. It was a very well organized run. The volunteers were great and encouraging. At two of the water stations I heard tobyMac playing. The course was nice except the few hills from mile 7-10. I loved the shirts and was surprised to get a hat and a pair of socks. The finishing medals were wonderful and in the shape of a heart. I can honestly say that it was a run for my heart.

http://www.heartlandhalfmarathon.com/

 Again, If you were at the race leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment