Pages

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Running with Freedom

It was a busy morning so I ran in the evening.  79 degrees but no humidity so not to bad for a September evening run.
Sun Set
 As I left the house things were vastly different from my run the morning before.  Yesterday morning was a struggle.  My mind was filled with thoughts and a battle was waging in my soul.  This made my running feel heavy.  It was as if I was dragging an anchor.  Tonight I was Free.  I was running and my body felt light.  It is amazing how quickly our mood can change when we listen to God and do what we should.  Tonight a certain bible verse captured my situation precisely.  

Hebrews 12:1
          Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great could of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.  And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

I had a choice to make yesterday.  I could have kept my struggles to myself and they would have festered and grown, but luckily God gave me a way out.  I am lucky to have a wife who loves me, in whom I have learned that I can share my struggles with and I have a friend that I can rely on when I am in need.  I have learned to use the people that God has placed in my life.

I am reminded of Ryan Hall the great american distance runner.  He has a book called Running With Joy.  It is a 14 week journal that details his preparation for the 2010 Boston Marathon.  In his book he chronicles how he grew in his faith with each run and how he was filled with joy as he finished the marathon.  He didn't win the race but he had achieved joy by not letting any of his struggles hinder him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment